Welcome

Part of the beauty of being on sabbatical is that there are no time constraints and no set agenda. So...this blog will be a series of reflections, written as my heart is moved to share them. I will be in Kenya and Tanzania for six weeks beginning November 1st. Welcome to my adventure! To find out more about the Canadian charity that I am spending time with, please go to their website: www.sautimoja.org

Friday 25 November 2011

Surprise - another day in Marsabit!

I am kind of wishing that I didn't tell anyone that this was going to be adventure - adventures have a way of turning any plans upside down!  This new adventure began when Tim discovered the airplane that was available for today didn't actually have enough seats for all 4 of us to return today, so he began to scramble to find an alternative to get home.  He actually bought a bus ticket, even though the bus trip from here could take 2 days to do what should easily be manageable in one day.  However, late yesterday he was able to make arrangements to go in a 4 wheel drive, smaller vehicle with some workers from one of the NGO's here.  He left at 6:30 this morning, thinking that he might be able to be in Nairobi early this evening.  We just got a cryptic text from him that they were having car troubles, but still expected to be in Nairobi later this evening.  MEANWHILE, back here in Marsabit, Nashapai, Jenaya (2 of the staff from Sauti Moja Tanzania who have been with us for a week) and I were feeling sorry for Tim because of his long trip, fully expecting that we would be on the plane and back in Nairobi by late afternoon today.  At 1:00 we discovered that the weather had been too bad in Nairobi so they couldn't take off after all - the plan is that they will try to get the plane again tomorrow, but there are certainly no guarantees as this is the rainy season.  MEANWHILE,  right now, as I write this, my husband is on the plane from Heathrow airport.  Yesterday when I was in touch with him, I told him - no worries - I will be at the airport to meet you.  Our internet was down all morning, so I couldn't be in touch with him again before he left England.  So, here's hoping he figures out what to do when he walks out into the terminal and there is a taxi driver there with a card with his name on it - welcome to the African reality of trying to make plans!!  At least Tim will be at the guest house in Nairobi sometime tonight so that Art won't be totally on his own for all of tomorrow.  It is a good exercise in learning to be an adult in a situation that is totally beyond our control.  We have shelter, we have food, we have water, we have internet - all will be well!  I do have a few pictures I can show you of some of the people we have spent time with.  Two days ago, we walked out to see a friend of Tim's who has had a home for children in Marsabit for many years.  These children are all orphans, meaning that their fathers are not living, and if their mother is living, she is not able to take care of them.  There are 30 children who sleep at this home, and all of them are in either primary or secondary school.  John, the director of the home, arranged for all of them to gather and pose for a picture:
Last night we were invited to Martha's home for supper.  Martha is the manager of the Child Mother's program, plus she does most of the administration for Sauti Moja Marsabit.  Martha has been in many of the pictures I have taken of child mothers, and of the widows that we have been interviewing.  She has a deep compassion for the beneficiaries of Sauti Moja, and it is clear in watching the conversations that she is deeply respected in this community.  I know that when I picture Marsabit after I have left here, Martha is one of the faces of compassion that I will remember.  I wanted to find some small way to offer her some support, so I decided to "re-gift" her with the prayer shawl that I received from Selkirk United Church.  Often in the evenings while I was writing these posts, I would have the prayer shawl around my shoulders.  It feels very good to be leaving the shawl here - to offer Martha the strength of knowing that there is a community of people across the ocean who will continue to pray for her ministry here.
Another person we spent a fair bit of time with was Philip.  Philip is the project manager for the livestock program - the goats and the donkeys.  Philip came and had a visit with me this morning and talked a bit about his own life story.  When he was young his family couldn't afford to pay for him to go to Secondary School, so he was only able to go up to Class 8.  Eventually he found work as a night watchman which enabled him to begin to save some money.  Once he had saved enough to pay for the school fees, he asked a friend who was a teacher to give him some help to prepare so that he could study enough to write the final exam.  He worked hard and was able to finish Form 4 in 2007 - that is the equivalent of Grade 12 in Canada.  He has now been working on distance education and will soon have his diploma in social service and community development.  Again, I was very touched by his dedication to the work that Sauti Moja does.  He works hard to find the most vulnerable women in the surrounding villages, and treats them with great respect as he works with them to provide the livestock and instruct them in the care needed to ensure they have healthy animals.  I wanted to leave him with some small symbol that would let him know we will continue to pray for him across the ocean, and so I re-gifted him with this rock that I was given by someone from the Sunset congregation.  The rock was given to me before I left Canada, so that when I felt alone or overwhelmed, I could wrap my hand around the rock and know that I had a community of support - that I was not alone.  It felt right and good to leave this Canadian rock with a man who is clearly a rock of support for many who need to know that they are not alone.
Martha and Philip are often the contacts for all the beneficiaries of Sauti Moja who live in very isolated villages in the Marsabit district.  The only way they have of getting out to do those personal visits is on this motorcycle.  Philip usually uses it himself, but if Martha needs to go somewhere, he gives her a ride - side-saddle!  They were very gracious in posing for me, since I told them Canadians would have to see it to believe it!  So, as you get in your cars to go wherever it is you are heading this weekend, please remember these two Kenyans, who are living their faith by reaching out to those who live on the very margins of this society.  My heart has been touched, and my faith has been strengthened by the witness of these two people:
And please - pray for clear skies for Nairobi for tomorrow - I would like to actually spend time with Art for the remainder of my time in Africa!!


No comments: