Welcome

Part of the beauty of being on sabbatical is that there are no time constraints and no set agenda. So...this blog will be a series of reflections, written as my heart is moved to share them. I will be in Kenya and Tanzania for six weeks beginning November 1st. Welcome to my adventure! To find out more about the Canadian charity that I am spending time with, please go to their website: www.sautimoja.org

Thursday 3 November 2011

Yup - I'm in Africa!!

In spite of all my worrying about everything that could go wrong, I had a completely uneventual trip - yeah!!  It was a long two days of flying, but I managed to get all my connections, and sailed through customs with no difficulties.  It feels like it has been such a long build-up, that it is hard to believe that I am actually here!  I woke up to the sounds of many, many birds - and not chickadees or robins I might add.  For 2 nights I am staying at the Mennonite Guest House in Nairobi.  It is very comfortable, with this lovely little sitting area outside my room.

I have arrived here in the short rain season.  It is a bit cooler than normal - likely about 16 or 17 Celsius right now, but as the sun comes out and burns off some of the cloud, my guess is that it will warm up some.  There likely will be some rain most days, but that is more than manageable - it is a far cry from the cold winds at Gimli!  The colors of the vegetation here are amazingly vivid - these are some of the plants I see as I look out from that little patio towards the main room where we eat our breakfast...

Looking back from the place where we eat our breakfast, that is the building where my room is - I have one of the ground floor rooms.

My room is just behind those very colorful bushes..

I ate breakfast this morning with a man who is a volunteer with the Mennonite Central Committee - and he is from Ontario!  As we chatted, we discovered we have a friend from Canada in common - and what a small little world we live in!  He has been coming here for several years, so shortly he is going to take me for a walk to see some of the sites, and to find some lunch.  Tim Wright will be arriving this afternoon sometime, and tomorrow is the day that we will be heading up to Marsabit.  And so my adventure has begun...
ps.  For those of you who don't know, I think you can click on the picture itself and it will show up a little bigger on your screen - I will be uploading them pretty small so that it is quicker to upload.  Such a computer whiz that I am!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: